RSS Subscribe

Friday, August 21, 2009

Can I... back-up my brain?

Not too long ago, I was going through a bunch of papers looking for something important that I had written down; and for the life of me I couldn't find it. I furrowed my brow in sheer frustration, and it was at that point I realized that something had to be done. It was time for action; so I went on the hunt with my old friend Google.


Evernote for my desktop
(Free)
After getting knee deep in search results, I stumbled across something that now I cannot live without. It was exactly what I was looking for; an application that remembered everything for me, and synchronized the information with an external server so I could access it from any internet-capable
device. It is called Evernote, and
it does what it says; it lets one
"Remember Everything". There are two versions of Evernote: "Free" and "Premium". The free version displays a small little ad in the bottom left corner; hardly an annoyance. The premium version is $45 annually and gives you more account space and lets you upload more file types. The official list of differences can be found "here". I opted for the free version because I'm poor, and found that it was more that adequate enough for my needs. Evernote can be downloaded "here".



Evernote for my browser
(Free)
I love Firefox; its extensibility is unrivaled. So once I had Evernote installed to my desktop,
I immediately checked the "Add-ons for Firefox" website for an Evernote extension. It didn't take long to find one. The "Evernote Web Clipper" adds a little button to you Firefox toolbar; all you have to do is highlight some web content, click the button and that information is immediately added to Evernote. The "Evernote Web Clipper" Firefox extension can be downloaded "here".

So, "Can I... back-up my brain?". Yes I can, thanks to Evernote. If you don't have a photographic memory, then this application may be what you need. Take care and thanks for reading my blog. :)

JSA aka o0110o
Blogger
21/08/2009

No comments:

Post a Comment